Sunday, October 19, 2014

Ping Pong Tournament Down to Final Four

Ping Pong Tournament
By Ashley Hall

Captain Bob Brock has taught at Wentworth Military Academy for 8 years. He is the Academy’s art instructor. During his 4th year of teaching here, he started the Ping Pong Tournament. “This tournament actually started out as an art project,” he explained. “My art students designed a Ping Pong table for a project and then they started playing. They enjoyed it so much that I decided to create a tournament.”
Compared to the first year CPT Brock did this tournament, there has been a lot more people participating this time around. “The first year I did this there were probably about 80 that signed up and this year we have 111. I’m so surprised. I don’t think there has ever been a school event where this many people have voluntarily signed up,” Brock said.
The winners of this tournament win a pizza. “I’m hoping that in the future, I will be able to get the winners a nicer prize. But for right now, I order the winning cadets pizza. I will also be hosting this tournament again in the spring, if everything goes well.” said CPT Brock.
One of the cadets that signed up for the tournament, Cadet Justin House, said, “I signed up because Captain Brock is a nice guy and ping pong is a lot of fun. This would definitely be something I sign up for again in the future. I enjoy it, it helps pass the time and it’s a Wentworth activity.”  However, other cadets have different reasoning for wanting to participate. “I’m just here for the pizza,” joked Cadet Max Flores.
The tournament is down to the final four.  They are Michelle Zhan, Ethan Salatielu, Dan McElroy, and Angel Perez Vargas.  The winners of the Zhan-Salatielu and McElroy-Perez Vargas matches will go on to the championship round.  The final matches will be played after CPT Brock gets his new Ping Pong tables in.  “I would like to temporarily set them up in a location so people can view the last few matches,” he explained.

Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion of the tournament in the next issue of The Trumpeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment